What is Generative AI?
Generative AI is a subset of artificial intelligence, a broad field of computer science that focuses on creating intelligent robots that can carry out tasks that traditionally require human intelligence. While there are many different approaches to AI, it is an interdisciplinary discipline, and recent developments in machine learning and deep learning, in particular, are causing a paradigm change in almost every area of the tech industry.
It should be mentioned that the technology is not entirely new. Chatbots first used generative AI in the 1960s. However, generative AI could not produce convincingly authentic photos, videos, or sounds of actual people until the invention of generative adversarial networks, or GANs, in 2014. GANs are a sort of machine learning algorithm.
Generative AI from time to time:
Early iterations of generative AI required data submission via an API or some other laborious technique. Writing applications in languages like Python required developers to get familiar with specialized tools.
Now, leaders in generative AI are creating improved user interfaces that enable you to express a request in straightforward words. Following a first reaction, you can further tailor the outcomes by letting us know the tone, fashion, and other characteristics you want the content to portray.
Some Generative AIs:
- Google’s Bard
- Microsoft’s Bing
- Open AI’s ChatGPT
- Apple’s AppleGPT (Yet to come)
Can Generative AI help you with Email Coding?
Generative AI systems can be used to generate email codes. However, the user’s expertise and the instructions they enter continue to impact that code’s accuracy and trustworthiness significantly. AI cannot read designs (PSD, Figma, In Design, Illustrator, PDF, etc.); it can only assist with instructions.
Various ways AI is being used in Email Marketing:
- Optimizing subject lines and more
- Sending emails at the right time
- Writing relevant content for segmentation
- Perfecting email personalization
- Automating e-commerce emails
- Replying to customer emails
How much time would an email developer save?
Reliability and accuracy are the questions: You’ll spend more time conducting quality assurance and fixing code than you would if you just did it yourself from scratch. However, we can still see the use of AI in very specific areas, such as generating alt text for images in emails.
AI email development tools could help shorten the time spent on tedious, repetitive coding tasks. However, implementing a “component-driven email design system” is a more practical strategy for increasing productivity. In the future, educating AI on your design system could be a practical solution that reduces duplication of effort, fosters consistency, and enables non-coders to make email requests.
Component-driven email design system
Components: Components are reusable blocks of code that support particular use cases and allow you to switch between various styles for various brands quickly. The main distinction between components and code snippets or partials for email development is that if you modify a component, the changes are immediately reflected in all emails containing that component.
Email components could include:
- Columns (for different layouts)
- Image placeholders
Tools for a component-driven email design system:
Will AI in email be used for good or for bad?
There is no question that email AI has the potential to be both beneficial and harmful. The real question is how you and your business plan to use it. Avoid letting speed and cupidity impair your judgment. Consider how AI can improve email as you proceed slowly.
Are we developing machines/bots that will replace us at work?
Artificial intelligence is still very much in its infancy as it pertains to our daily lives. It will most likely become faster, smarter, and more sophisticated.
Other email marketing skills have not become obsolete due to existing technology. A brand may use a drag-and-drop email editor, but if they truly want to deliver a distinctive campaign, they will require better coding skills than ChatGPT.
Experience with coding and the capacity to think creatively and experimentally will always be highly valued. It’s still too early to say whether AI will ever replace programmers. It’s best to consider AI as merely another tool to assist you in your work for the time being.
How Generative AI Systems are Changing Email Marketing?
1. Generative AI tools like ChatGPT create new content using substantial datasets and intricate algorithms. Generic artificial intelligence (GAI) could be applied to email marketing to generate subject line suggestions, write email copy, and even attempt to code emails.
2. Images, audio, and video are also produced using generative AI. And the technology can do it at incredible speeds.
3. You can ask it questions, and it will respond with original answers and not just paraphrases of other cited sources you can click through to read. It produces ‘original’ solutions.
4. It understands ten languages, remembers your conversations, and picks up new information when you give feedback.
Benefits of generative AI:
1. One of AI’s biggest and most cited advantages is its 24/7 availability.
2. Reducing the effort of responding to emails.
3. AI not only works continuously, it scales almost infinitely.
4. Improved accuracy and reduced rate of error
5. Summarizing complex information into a coherent narrative.
6. Performs mundane and repetitive tasks.
Limitations of generative AI:
1. It does not always identify the source of content.
2. It can be challenging to assess the bias of original sources.
3. Skill loss in humans.
4. Quality and reliability issues.
5. Results can gloss over bias and prejudice.
Generative AI can be a game-changer for email marketing, but it also requires responsibility and caution from email marketers. We hope this blog has given you some insights into generative AI and its impact on email marketing. We at Email Uplers offer end-to-end email marketing solutions for your brand at minimum TAT and hassle-free delivery. Do drop by to say hi!